Ngong hills is one of the best places to release city tension. The view of Nairobi from the top of the hills is breathtaking. Don’t even mention the sunset from up there. It’s beautiful!
Ngong Hills is ideal for hiking as a group, as a couple, or even as an individual. Here’s all you need to know about Ngong hills before you hit the road.
How Much Does it Cost to Hike Ngong Hills?
To hike in Ngong Hills, you just need to pay the entry fee. The entry fee for is (Ksh 232) for adults and Ksh 58 for kids. International visitors are charged Ksh 696 for adults and Ksh 134 for kids.
If you would like to get a ranger escort, you’ll be charged Ksh 1 500.
All payments are made via Mpesa or credit card.
Are dogs allowed in Ngong Hills?
Yes, dogs are allowed in Ngong Hills. So don’t leave your canine friend behind. Let him enjoy the trip as well.
What Activities are Found in Ngong Hills
Ngong hills offer several outdoor activities, including:
- Zip lining
- Video shooting
Note that you have to pay an extra fee for some of these activities. The entry fee covers hiking and picnicking.
Does Ngong Hills have a Restaurant?
Yes, Ngong hills have a restaurant where you can enjoy a meal and your favorite alcoholic drink. The restaurant is located up in the hills, so be prepared to hike before eating.
Things to Remember Before Going to Ngong Hills
- Start your trip early
- Wear comfortable shows. Remember you’re going for a hike.
- Wear warm clothes. The place is SO windy and cold in the evening.
- Don’t carry a walking aid (unless you need it). A walking aid only adds to the luggage.
- Eat something before you start your journey. Your body will thank you for it.
- Remember to have fun! Enjoy the trip. Laugh. Make it memorable.
- Carry loose money to support the women and kids selling sweets and beads.
Just like any other place where crowds meet there is need to have rules to ensure people and the environment are protected. For Ngong Hills, the following rules apply:
- Single use plastic are not allowed. This means carry your water, food or snacks in a container that’s reusable.
- Children must be accompanied by adults
- No use of fire or smoking
- No removal of forest products
- Alcohol and loud music is not allowed
How long is Nairobi to Ngong Hills?
Nairobi to Ngong Hills is approximately 33 miles. It takes around 40 minutes to drive from Nairobi to Ngong hills town. And then another 10 to 20 minutes to reach Ngong Hills entry gate.
I would recommend anyone planning a hike to try Ngong Hills. It’s calm, beautiful, and a good challenge for your body.
For the management team, I would recommend the addition of more outdoor activities and a wide variety of food in the restaurant. There were only three dishes available when we visited, but maybe we went in late (who knows).